Thursday, September 23, 2010

A pain in the gut is worth a pill (or two) in the hand...

Tomorrow (technically today, since it's after midnight, but feels like tomorrow since I haven't gone to sleep yet) marks the 3rd week of being on Lupron to try to help with my PCS.  I haven't posted about this since I went in for my shot, so I figured that now (while I'm not sleeping) would be a good time to kind of document the past 3 weeks, pain-wise.

Dr Stitt is an amazing woman.  I am so happy to have found her and have her treat me while I'm here.  She listens, she advises, and she takes time to spend with each patient.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in my other posts on the subject, so I'll get right to the nitty gritty.

As scared as I was to start the injections (hello - if something happens, it takes at least a month for the drug to wear off!... not even mentioning 'normal' side effects and stuff like that...), when I got to the office and spoke with Dr Stitt, I felt better about the decision.  Gary and I had decided it wasn't the right time to have kids right now, especially if it was just to put off this treatment and hurry and get one in so our 'child timeline' would work out right...  This was the thing to do.  And I was going to do it.

I picked up my injection from the pharmacy on my way to my appointment, but they were out of the hormone replacement drug, so I'd have to go back the next day to get that.

The shot & I made it safely to the dr office, where we waited, for not very long, if I remember right, in the waiting room and even in the actual exam room.  I was pretty upset about what the scale said (but that's a vent for another post. promise.), but kinda blew it off.  whatever. It's just a number, Right?

Once I was in the exam room, Dr Stitt came in,  talked to me about what was going to happen, just to go over the details again and answer any new questions I may have come up with since I'd seen her last.  We talked, then she removed my Mirena IUD, the nurse gave me the lupron shot in my butt, and that was that.

I left with a prescription for percocet for the pain, which she assured would get MUCH worse, a prescription for Neurontin- a new drug that's being tested - it's actually a seizure medication, but has shown signs of being good at treating chronic pain, so she's trying me on that as well.  I also got a prescription for an anxiety medication, just in case I can't handle something (mood swings & all... and I need it anyway), a HUGE hug from Dr Stitt, and the thought that I could do this.

I've been very good at taking my drugs that are supposed to suppress the pain - the Neurontin (supposed to take it 3x/day) and Celebrex (2x/day), and also the hormone replacement (1/day), in addition to my sleep aids and my depression meds... I feel like I could open a full pharmacy for crazy ladies in pain over here!

Ok. So on to the real stuff. The side effects...  if you remember, there was a looong list of potential side effects from taking this drug:

burning/pain/bruising at the injection site, hot flashes increased sweating, night sweats, tiredness, headache, upset stomach, breast changes, acne, joint/muscle aches, insomnia, reduced sexual interest, vaginal dryness, vaginal bleeding, swelling of the ankles/feet, increased urination, dizziness, bone thinning, depression, weight gain, anxiety 

Of these, so far, I've experienced the increased pain. lots and lots of it.  My feet have been swelling more, my boobs have shrunk and are now smaller than they've been since my sophomore year in high school (which might also have something to do with the fact that I just stopped nursing).  I'm not much more tired than usual, headaches aren't any worse, no acne... depression and anxiety are normal anyway... So really, the only thing that's bothered me enough to somewhat change anything I do, is the extra pain I'm feeling.  Because, seriously, with a list like the one above, I'm sure at least half of women who read that would come up with multiple symptoms they could claim, and blame it on the drug, rather than just deal with the fact that that's the way it is? make sense? (i know my caps & punctuation suck tonight. it's 3am. bite me.)  

But the pain. omg. I have literally been taking percocet around the clock.  I was given 40 pills that were supposed to last me 4 weeks... but the dosage instructions (and dr stitt) said to take one every 6 hours for pain. that would equal out to 4 per day, if it were a bad day.  those pills would last me 10 days.  So they were surprised when i called after over 2 weeks and said i needed more.  I had to go to an after hours clinic because they were closed and on call dr couldn't call anything in for me... so i got 15 more from the clinic, and then an rx for 15 more from the dr... should last me. 

But here i am, 6 days out (if you count today (thursday) and tuesday (my appt is in the pm), which i do), and have 5 total pills left.  I have been subbing in 800mg of ibuprofen when I can, but it doesn't do anything... This is so frustrating.  I don't even know what to do.  I'm going to call the office first thing in the morning and see if she can see me tomorrow or friday and go in then, and if not, just write me an rx to get me through the weekend... because i'm seriously dying here.  

I've been able to deal with my daily pain.  It hurts, but if I have meds, i can take them and deal.  Right now, I can't.  I HAVE to take the percocet, and even that barely takes the edge off.  I am so sick of my body not working right and being in constant pain...  physically, and don't even get me started on the emotional crap. 


Anyway, it's 3:16am. I think I'm gonna go forage for a snack and then try to read myself to sleep.  

loves... xoxo

2 comments:

Jaymi said...

Hey Girly, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't know what else to say besides I'm thinking about you and hope it gets better soon. I remember you saying that it's supposed to get better after the first month, I hope that's the case, if not sooner, and you get to feeling better!!

JG said...

I'm so sorry you're hurting, all around. I can't even imagine how hard it is.

BTW, I tagged you on the blog today. No pressure, just a time killer.