Sunday, November 7, 2010

PCS time

So we're moving.

Or, in Army speak, we're PCSing.

Better than PMSing, I guess... but not by much.

We opted this time to do a DITY move.  For those of you not familiar with the military lingo, DITY means Do IT Yourself.

We're hoping to make some money off this move.

I'm rather excited.  We're PCSing to Fort Carson


Not so excited for the snowy, cold winters.  We lived in that for 4 years while The Hubs was in school.  I can do without snow.  I actually prefer the hot, humid summer of Georgia, or the hotter, dry heat of Vegas, to the snow of the Rocky Mountains.

But there are positives.  My parents are 5 hours away.  Meaning, when The Hubs deploys this coming summer, the kids & I will be able to spend as much or as little time there, just paying for gas, not having to fly.

Needless to say, since the Army isn't moving us this time, and The Hubs has been in Airborne school, all of the packing responsibility falls on me.  I've already got the kids' rooms pretty much packed, as well as everything off the walls & most of the breakables.  So my house looks like a sad, lonely prison cell.

I started working on the kitchen today, finally, after putting it off for almost a week, and after box #3 (and right in the middle of packing up my china) I ran out of packing tape, and The Hubs is off at a jump with our one and only vehicle.  And the PX is miles away.  Go figure.  So instead of being proactive and bugging the neighbors & friends, I'm blogging.  :)

Meanwhile, Big Brother is watching the credits to Toy Story 3, and Little Sister is in the kitchen whining for more milk.  And I'm being the lazy, neglectful mother.

We found out that we're not going to be able to move into a house on post until December 18th.  The kids & I fly out to my parents house on November 18th, and The Hubs & his dad are driving the moving truck, and should get to Ft Carson on or about November 22.  So we'll have to live in on post temporary housing or in an extended-stay hotel.  Neither of which sounds fun, coupled with 2 very lively, demanding and active toddlers who love to go outside, and the fact that we have one vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but we both felt strongly about living on post, so that's what we're going for.  Unless we can find a cheap, nice, big home to rent close to post, in a decent neighborhood.  Asking too much? Probably.

So now I'm stuck with the task of not only packing, but also trying to pack boxes to go into storage until we get our home, and also boxes of stuff to take with us if we need it - things like plates, cups, sippies & snack cups for the kids, and toys, of course.  I have no idea what to put in those boxes, other than the things I already mentioned.

I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.

Oh. And Big Brother just let himself & Little Sister outside.  At least our back yard is fenced in so they can't go far.

Anyway, my house is a mess, my inlaws just left, I have laundry to wash, toys everywhere, and just other random chaos filling every corner.  Not really the ideal scenario for packing, but then again, with no tape, I'm not going to be packing much, so I might as well get off my butt and clean.

Anyone want to come help?

No comments: